Skip to main content

Booktastic Fun at the 2013 Manila International Book Fair

This is a late post (and you'll probably end up reading this much later than today, since my blog is new and all), but I had lots of fun at the 2013 Manila International Book Fair (MIBF) in SMX. I came home with almost a dozen books, mostly bought from the Fully Booked and National Book Store booths.

Welcome to the MIBF! 


The NBS booth was right across the entrance...and it's huge.


The FB booth was more subdued, with a maze of books. It was like going on a treasure hunt.

My book loot from the 2013 MIFB consists of the following (refer to photo from top to bottom):


Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn 

The story seems interesting, and I thing there's a movie of it showing soon.

Foundation by Isaac Asimov

I'm trying to get into sci-fi novels and Asimov is one of the greats. I recently read Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game and thought it was great. 

Peace and War by Joe Haldeman

I was a bit wary of this sci-fi trilogy because of the tacky title, but a good word from Stephen King was enough to convince me to buy it.

Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan

I'm planning to watch the movie and buy the vinyl record, so I'm very excited to read the book as well. I love John Green's work, so I'm interested in the work of his colleague (Levithan) too.

Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan

The cover design is amazing I'm assuming all Levithan's books are good.

Quiet by Susan Cain

I bought this for my Kindle back when it copies weren't available locally and I absolutely loved it. As a fellow introvert Cain speaks to me, and I can't wait to read her again on paperback. Also, I watched her TED Talk Susan Cain: the Power of Introverts before visiting Amazon.

How to Be Alone by Jonathan Franzen

One of my super talented writer friends said this was a great book, so it must be amazing! But during the book fair, I picked this up out of sheer interest.

Manila Noir edited by Jessica Haggedorn

I was going to pick up a copy of this anthology anyway, but any Peso saved is a Peso I can use for other books. I'm especially interested in reading F.H. Batacan's contribution. I'm still waiting for her sequel/prequel to Smaller and Smaller Circles.

The Tale of Genji by Murasaki Shikibu

This and Romance of the Three Kingdoms are two epic novels I want to finish reading soon.

Plus!

Adobe Photoshop CS6 for Photographers by Martin Evening

I really want to learn how to use Photoshop and InDesign, to complement my writing skills, so I bought this during my second visit to this year's book fair.

***

I bought all of these books at the very least a 20 percent discount, and I'm so excited to read them. The annual MIBF is like Christmas for me, so I can't wait for the next one. 

Comments