Skip to main content

Book Review - The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson

I'll be honest here. I bought my copy of The Way of Kings (Part 1 of The Stormlight Archive) by Brandon Sanderson for two reasons. First, I though he wrote all of the Wheel of Time epic-fantasy series. He wrote co-wrote a few of them, but only after Robert Jordan died in 2007. Second, I really dig its white book cover. I even bought an entire roll of plastic cover just to wrap that one book.


I'm trying to catch-up on reading fantasy and science fiction books that, regretfully, I didn't read when I was younger. Thus, my recently reading Orson Scott-Card's Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow, as well as J.R.R. Tolkien's The Fellowship of the Ring,  all of which I've reviewed previously. This is also the reason why I bought The Way of Kings (Part 1) in Fully Booked, Alabang Town Center. 


Me being silly again, I thought the thick tome was the entire book, but it was only half of it! Luckily, I found Part 2 in Fully Booked, Greenbelt 5. After realizing Robert Jordan was the primary author of the Wheel of Time series, I also bought  a copy of The Eye of the World. More on that after I finish reading it. 

Now, onto my book review. 

Author Brandon Sanderson at Utopiales 2010 (France)
Source: Wikipedia
Author: Ceridwen

Unlike most of the perhaps more traditional fantasy stories I've read, including The Fellowship of the Ring and The Eye of the World (I'm done with almost half the novel), The Way of Kings begins with an amazing action sequence, featuring a super-human warrior named Szeth who feeds off light. He jumps around, hangs upside down, reverses gravity, and kills multiple soldiers in one slice. And to top it all off, he assassinates King Galivar.

There's none of that 100-page introduction with lots of walking around, interior monologues, and descriptions of scenery. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with long introductions. But Brandon Sanderson proves in this novel that extensive and comprehensive world-building very is possible while immediately dropping readers in the middle of the action. 

The world of Roshar is ravaged by frequent powerful tempests that have ravaged lands and shaped civilization. Cities are built only where shelter is available and the wildlife has adapted to these harsh conditions. Shardblades and Shardplates, weapons and armor of the legendary Knights Radiant, are wielded and fought over by various human kingdoms. In the Shattered Plains, King Galivar's son leads forces against the Parshendi, who admittedly organized the king's assassination. 

The story basically shifts between the points-of-view of soldier-turned-slave Kaladin and minor lighteyes Shallan. Characters Szeth and Dalinar Kholin are frequently featured too. Kaladin and Dalinar's storyline centers on the war against the Parshendi. Hence, their sequences are more exciting and action-packed. Shallan's story is more academic and slow-paced. 

I personally liked the action more. It's a guy thing, I guess. I especially liked the battles where Shardplates and Shardblades are involved. The battles fought on the Shattered Plains were amazing. I love the chapter where they hunt the giant chamsfiend.  

Magic in this story is also amazing, and I can't wait to see it in battle, perhaps in the second novel. Another thing I really enjoyed were the sketches that gave clarity and life to the world of Roshar and the fantastic creatures that live in it. 

When I get into a story, I enjoy it no matter its length. The Way of Kings was a joy to read. I already have a gigantic copy of Words of Radiance (The Stormlight Archive Book 2), and I can't wait to read it as well. 

My Rating:
5 out of 5







Comments