Skip to main content

Filipino Fridays 2014 - Have You Ever Wanted to Write a Book?

Filipino ReaderCon 2014 is just around the corner so it's time for Filipino Friday. Here is my second entry for today:


Here is this week's topic:
As a reader, have you ever thought about writing a book? What kind of books/stories do you want to write? Or are you now a published author, and what compelled you to go fulfill this dream? How was your journey from reader to writer? How did you go about getting your book out there?
As a reader, have you ever thought about writing a book?

YES. I've always wanted to be a published fiction writer. That's the reason why I took up creative writing in college, instead of a more practical course like mass communications or journalism.

What kind of books/stories do you want to write?

Over the years, beginning with my thesis year in college, I realized that I have an inclination towards writing contemporary romance stories. So I'd like to write fiction (short stories, novellas, and novels) in this genre. This is why I joined Mina V. Esguerra's #romancelcass this year.

I haven't completed my novella yet (a requirement of that class), but I will accomplish something bigger first, by writing a contemporary romance novel for National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo).

My big dream is to write a series of fantasy and/or science fiction novels. Think Brandon Sanderson and Orson Scott Card. I'm also interested in the steampunk genre.

I believe I deprived myself of "nerdiness" when I was a kid, and I'm only catching up on everything now. I have a tower of fantasy, science fiction, and steampunk reading to accomplish before I can even consider writing my own stuff.

I also need to develop a habit of writing every day. I need to gain confidence in my own writing too. This is partially why joined #romanceclass and why I'm committed to completing NaNoWriMo this year.

Comments

  1. Go for it this NaNoWriMo! Wishing you the ease and grace for your daily word count.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Verne, can you let me know if you hear of other creative writing workshops happening around Manila? That just might be the push I need ;-)
    Wishing you the best as NaNoWriMo kicks off next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Pia, I'll leave a comment once I hear of anything. Thanks for the encouragement and for dropping by my blog! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you, so please leave a comment.