Skip to main content

The Shining by Stephen King - Book Review


Many of my close friends know that "Carrie" is my favorite Stephen King novel. I always talk about how that was the book that got me into reading and writing. However, I don't often mention that "The Shining" is my second favorite novel by Stephen King.

"The Shining" tells the story of recovering alcoholic Jack Torrance, his wife Wendy, and his son Danny. When Jack finds a job as caretaker of the Overlook Hotel, the whole family drives up to the hotel for the winter. The former caretaker succumbed to cabin fever, and killed his entire family. Obviously, a foreshadowing of things to come, and Jack's family soon finds out why.

Everything is fine at first. Jack even finds time to work on his long overlooked play. Then, Danny begins seeing visions.

Danny has 'The Shining,' a telepathic ability that allows him to have premonitions, read minds, and perhaps more dangerous things. Unfortunately, his ability inadvertently increases the supernatural activity within the hotel. Frustrated by their inability posses Danny, the hotel ghosts go for Jack instead--and succeed in possessing him. Horror ensues.

Jack Torrance scares me. There is just something terrifying about a mind that snaps, cabin fever or not; ghostly possession or not. Maybe even both! The claustrophobia of it all scares me too. How Wendy and Danny were trapped in the Overlook Hotel, perhaps miles away from anyone else during the winter. 

I remember the scene with the wasps, and how they ended up in Danny's room. I don't think I'll ever forget that. The fire hose and bush sculpture scenes are quite scary too.

Meanwhile, Overlook chef Dick Hallorann is such an adorable character. He like the one flicker of joy in the whole novel. He has 'The Shining' too, and I'm glad Danny was able to reach him, in the end.

I enjoyed how "The Shining" focused on just three or four characters, so I got to know each one intimately. This made it more difficult for me, when Jack finally exploded. He was trying so hard too--to be a good husband, father, playwright, and caretaker. 

There are many more reasons, and I'm sure many readers will agree, that Stephen King's novel deserves a 5 out of 5.

You can read my review of "Doctor Sleep," King's sequel to "The Shining" by clicking on the link.

Comments