Skip to main content

Last Argument of Kings by Joe Abercrombie - A Flights of Fantasy Book Review


Last Argument of Kings is the third book in The First Law trilogy by British fantasy writer Joe Abercrombie. An action-packed, fast-paced read, the novel concludes the stories of Logen Ninefingers, Superior Glokta, Jezal dan Luthar, and their many companions in a satisfying yet utterly unexpected way.

The Union will soon fight a war on two fronts, as it attacks the barbarians in the north, and defends against the Gurkish from the south. The heart of the Union is practically defenseless against the Gurkish army and the Eaters, but can their army make it back from the north in time? And can they defeat Bethod and his Northmen, before they retreat?

What I liked:

This novel is chock-full of surprises, some more surprising than others. I expected Jezal to end up becoming King of the Union because there were plenty of hints leading towards. Bayaz's magically helping Jezal win the fencing competition. The wizard's helping Jezal pacify the farmer rebellion, without Jezal having to lift a finger. The people were obviously falling in love with the young man, with plenty of help from the First of the Magi. So, as absurd as it sounds, King Jezal it is!

But Bayaz's being a megalomaniac was totally unexpected. He is a bully, a liar, and a murderer. He was the greatest warrior of the light, the Union's only hope against the Eaters. And he defeats them! But, he ends up being the darkest evil, the greatest monster of them all. This revelation was totally depressing. I love it!

When I reviewed Before They Are Hanged, I had doubts that Joe Abercrombie could conclude his trilogy, with its many stories, in one book. But he proved me wrong! The third book is the longest of the three, but I hardly noticed because it is also the best of the three.

What I didn't like:

Nothing. Last Argument of Kings is as excellent conclusion to The First Law trilogy as I could have ever hoped for. Even the Jezal-Ardee romance changed from dull to exciting when the King of the Union was forced to marry Princess Terez of the Grand Duchy of Talins. That Queen Terez absolutely despised Jezal was even better. Plus, I absolutely love that Ardee ended up marrying Superior Glokta, with both of them having happy endings, more or less.

I would love to read novels with more stories of Logen Ninefingers, the Bloody Nine, one of the greatest fictional fantasy characters I've ever known. I would also love to know how Ferro finally gets her long awaited, and long deserved revenge.

For readers who are looking for a fantasy story filled with action, gore, and politics (similar to The Game of Thrones), I greatly recommend The First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombe.

My Rating:
Flights of Fantasy is a reading challenge hosted by book bloggers Alexa Loves Books and Hello Chelly. Here are my goals for the Flights of Fantasy Reading Challenge 2015.

Comments