Skip to main content

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling - A Flights of Fantasy and Re-Read Challenge Book Review


Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling was a book series I grew up with, during my grade school and high school years. I read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone on paperback, after one of my bookish aunts recommended I read it. Then, I bought books two through seven on hardback, each day they were released in the local book stores.

The new books were always launched during the eve or right in the middle of my final exams, so I ended up reading about The Boy Who Lived instead of studying for school. Fortunately, my grades were still good enough for me to get accepted in the Ateneo de Manila University, for college.

I remember being awestruck when I first read about Harry Potter. I kept daydreaming and dreaming about what Hogwarts house the Sorting Hat would put me in (I was hoping to get placed in Gryffindor), and what want would choose me in Ollivanders (as long as it had a phoenix feather). I wanted so much for Quidditch to be real, and I wanted my very own Nimbus 2000. It took me over a week to finish that first book because I kept pausing, so I could imagine things in my head.

Now that I'm 27-years-old, I was able to re-read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone in just three hours or so. The awe I felt when reading J.K. Rowling's novel, as a child, was replaced by a strong nostalgia. I still thoroughly enjoyed the book. I don't think I'd ever get tired of re-reading it. Interestingly, I now want the Sorting Hat to place me in Hufflepuff instead of Gryffindor (never Slytherin though). And I still want my broomstick.

My Rating:
Flights of Fantasy is a reading challenge hosted by book bloggers Alexa Loves Books and Hello Chelly. Here are my goals for the Flights of Fantasy Reading Challenge 2015.

Comments