Skip to main content

Soulless (Parasol Protectorate # 1) by Gail Carriger - A Flights of Fantasy Book Review


Soulless is the first novel in the Parasol Protectorate series written by Gail Carriger. It's a Victorian era, somewhat steampunk take on the vampire-werewolf-fantasy romance genre. It features a steamship, automatons, carriages, tea, parasols, and treacle tart. Really charming stuff.

The novel introduces readers to the preternatural, a human with no soul, but with the ability to suck the power out of supernatural beings like vampires and werewolves. All that's required is the preternatural's touch. Once the preternatural lets go or loses bodily contact, the supernatural regains its powers.

Alexia Tarabotti, the story's main protagonist, is a preternatural. She is also a spinster, somewhat ostracized from Victorian society because of her being unmarried and a bit uncouth.The story begins with her being rudely attacked by a vampire, whom she accidentally kills. This gets Alexia into all kinds of trouble: with the (annoying yet adorable) werewolf alpha Lord Maccon, with the queen of a vampire hive, and with her very own mother.

Hers is a silly and funny story about love and adventure. 

What I Liked:

Soulless is a hilarious read. I laughed myself silly reading about relationship between Alexia and Lord Maccon. The way the werewolf kept biting her neck was especially absurd. The flamboyant vampire Lord Akeldama, with his Rococo sensibilities and hive of pretty vampire boys, was just bizarre! And the ever dependable beta werewolf Lyall was my favorite character.

The steampunk elements appearing here and there were seemingly superfluous, but they only added to the whimsical nature of the story. I mean, all Alexia had to to to defeat the dangerous automaton was to rub-off the number on his forehead with a handkerchief. Early in the story, the steamship seemed so amazing, but she never actually rode it. Annoying or adorable? With Gail Carriger writing, it's adorable as hell.

What I Didn't Like:

Well, this novel was a bit too silly for my taste. This is not the kind of novel I usually enjoy reading. Firstly, it has plenty of romance, and hardly any action. And it doesn't take itself seriously one bit. In fact, I may not have bought a copy if I had an inkling of what it was about beforehand.

Which is kind of sad, really, because I actually enjoyed reading Soulless very much. For me, it was a hoot! But others may find it annoying as hell. I'd read the other Parasol Protectorate novels, if ever I need a good laugh. Anyone up for a tea party? I'd love to try some of that treacle tart.

My Rating:
Flights of Fantasy is a reading challenge hosted by book bloggers Alexa Loves Books and Hello Chelly. Here are my goals for the Flights of Fantasy Reading Challenge 2015.

Comments