Skip to main content

My 2014 Reading List and Why I Chose It

Happy New Year, everyone!

I just read a bunch of 2014 reading lists by other Filipino book bloggers, so I've decided to make my own. Here just 10 of the books I want to read by the end of the year:


Me and my moldy hardbound copy of 1Q84 :)

1. 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami

I'm almost finished reading the first of three parts. I will finish reading the whole novel this year (Maybe this month, even), I promise!

2. It by Stephen King

Another book I've had since forever, and really want to read, but have not read entirely yet.

3. Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

I bought a copy of this from Fully Booked last December. Everyone seems to love it. I hope I will too.

4. The Lord of the Rings trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkien

The first several times I tried reading The Fellowship of the Ring, I found it really boring [I'm sorry!]. I plan to have another go at it this year.

5. A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin

I've read half of this book. Then, I stop and forget everything that happened, and read half of the book again. Maybe when the sixth book comes out, I'll be inspired (read: pressured) to finish the fifth one. But really, I will read this novel in its entirety soon.

6. Ender's Shadow series by Orson Scott Card

I loved Ender's Game! I'm a bit overwhelmed by the number of other Ender books out there. Luckily, one of my favorite book bloggers Blooey recommended I read the Ender's Shadow series first. Click here to read her blog post on the Enderverse.

7. Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind

Every time I pass by the fantasy section of local bookstores, I'm tempted to buy a Terry Goodkind book. I believe it's never too late to start reading fantasy and sci-fi epics (although I regret not having started many years earlier). No more regrets. I'm reading this novel soon.

8. The Foundation trilogy by Isaac Asimov

I bought the first book in this trilogy during the 2013 MIBF, and I'm really excited to read it.

9. Salem's Lot by Stephen King

This is known as one of Stephen King's best novels, and it's about vampires. "Vampires" and "good" aren't words that are liked together nowadays. All the more reason to tick this book off my to-read list in 2014.

10. TBA

I'm still thinking of another book to add to this list. So hard to choose. Maybe something by Zadie Smith or Jonathan Franzen. Or the new Haruki Murakami book, if the English translation is printed this year.

If you have any book suggestions for me, feel free to share them in the comments section below. :)

Comments